14 Mar Top 5 Yoga poses for Women Empowerment
Holistic Empowerment of Women through Yoga
In India men significantly outnumber women and Indian maternal mortality rates are highest in the world. “Approximately five women die in India every hour from problems developed during childbirth and due to heavy blood loss caused by hemorrhage is a major factor”- The World Health Organisation (WHO). Almost 45,000 mothers expire due to causes related to childbirth every year in India which accounts for 17 % of such deaths according to the international health body.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) said, “The major reason of maternal deaths is Post-Partum Hemorrhage which is -the loss of blood more than 500-1,000 ml within the first 24 hours after childbirth.” However, juvenile and illiterate mothers especially those living in rural and hard to reach areas have a greater chance of dying in childbirth. Young girls residing exterior of the metropolises are particularly vulnerable since the teenage marriage and pregnancies are extremely high in country and remote rural areas of India.
Apart from this women in India face several health issues, due to the gender, class or ethnic inequalities that exist in healthcare. Some main health problems faced by Women today are
- Breast and cervical cancers for the year 2012- 144,937 women were newly detected with breast cancer and 70,218 women died of breast cancer
- Sexual and reproductive health problems (222 million women aren’t getting the contraception services leading to HIV infections, gonorrhoea, syphilis. Untreated syphilis is accountable for more than 100,000 stillbirths and early foetal deaths every year)
- Violence against women (one in three women under 50 has experienced physical and/or sexual violence by a partner, or non-partner sexual violence – violence which affects their physical and mental health in the short and long-term.)
- Mental health Taunts, mental and physical abuse and ultimate death by murder or ‘forced-to-commit-suicide’ is an open fact of the Indian society. In 2016, 20 women were killed every day, 4,68,000 married women have been killed in India due to tortures related to dowry. These are only the reported numbers, the ones that came to notice. In reality the number of women killed due to this is much more. Resultantly, we can say that over 5 lakh women have been killed for dowry in India.
- Non-communicable diseases around 1.7 million women died from non-communicable diseases as a result of road traffic accidents, harmful use of tobacco, abuse of alcohol, drugs and substances and helping girls and women adopt healthy yogic lifestyles early on is key to a long and healthy life.
Recently, International Women’s day celebrations on 8th March, celebrated women and their empowerment and achievements around the globe. But it is also a great time to take stock of how women’s rights are fulfilled and empowering women world-wide through Yoga seems to be befitting answer.
Must Read: I am a Woman, What’s your Superpower?
Role of Yoga Empowerment for Women Today
The practice of Yoga since the ancient time proves that it is a scientific way of living for holistic health. Yoga for women can be an enriching and empowering experience. We tend to overlook the internal gifts because we are so engrossed in the pursuits of the materialistic world. Yoga is a journey of self-discovery. Yoga for women is more than just physical exercise. Yoga for women empowerment is not a new idea but thing is we need to revisit the self by using Yoga techniques to get the essential details of holistic health and wellbeing.
Yoga is a way of life for better living and it is one of the simplest ways to build your self-confidence, ignite your passion and feel empowered. Yoga instills awareness and growth of consciousness so that when you align yourself with the principles of nature that other things fall in place and harmony is restored. Yoga teaches us the how to achieve the delicate mind, body and soul balance. Life can truly be very fulfilling if you know your limitations and potential growth areas.
Ancient texts of Yoga have solutions to all our problems but faith, persistence and hard work is the key to feel empowered through Yoga.
Yoga for women is the holistic solution for empowerment
Yoga is not about getting a beautiful body –good health and shapely figure; these are just by-products. Yoga works on all levels.
Yoga Kriyas – Healthy body Healthy Mind is an old adage and quite true as well. Kriya are done for external and internal cleanse. They keep the body fit and prevent illness. Various Yoga Kriyas such as Kapalbhati, Jalaneti, Sutraneti, Nauli etc. Keep the physical body clean and fit
Pranayama – Breath is the vital force that runs the body and its systems and energies. Control of the bio-energies is very important. Yoga pranayama is one of the most important methods through which one can control the mind. Anulom-Vilom, Yogendra Pranayamas, SuryaBhedana etc. help to increase the vitality and longevity. They improve the lung capacity and oxygenation of all the cells and body systems are improved.
Top 5 Yoga poses for Women Empowerment
Yoga asanas keep the body balance in place they help to increase self-confidence, reduce anxiety and improve your ability to live in the present with vital energy. Few recommended poses for women empowerment
- PARVATASANA or the Mountain Pose – Holding a position demands a certain steadiness of body and mind. They provide you with the opportunity to develop a sense of poise, clarity, and a steadying of the mind. This simple and challenging pose requires focus and sturdiness of mind and body. This pose embodies inner strength and complete and utter empowerment!
Read Here – How to Do Parvatasana – The Mountain Pose
- THE WARRIOR POSE – Teaches women to stand strong, be brave and ooze self-confidence. It connects women to the absolute power that resides within, starting from the legs and reaching every muscle and joint to keep going strong just like a warrior.
- CHAKRASANA or the Wheel Pose – Finding your child like passion for life. Backbend of this pose helps to open the chest region and bring about a joyful vivacity.
- HALASANA or the Plough Pose – Achievement and ability to push your body limitations. This posture presents a huge mental challenge and helps to overcome fear of the unfamiliar. Brings about a tranquil state of mind.
- HASTAPADANGUSTASANA – This Asana is very direct in its name, suggesting a body formation including the hands, feet and toes. It is said that our waist line is fair guide to good health, beauty and longevity. In other words it can be said that adding to the waist line shortens the life line. The hip joint is a major joint hence we require such a posture which, along with keeping the waist flexible, also strengthens those muscles.
It is never too late to find the courage to follow your dreams and live the life you love. Just give yourself permission to reach deep inside and go find that confident and empowered new YOU. Try out the Top 5 Yoga poses for Women Empowerment today!
Also Check :