23 Feb Top 7 Yoga Poses for Constipation Relief
Every one of us has experienced constipation and the painful discomfort — reasons might vary from your diet, daily habits, travel, or lack of physical activity. Basically, it means that you have dry and hard stools that are difficult to eliminate. This leads to having less bowel movement per day. Sometimes people can go weeks without bowel movements, which leads to chronic constipation and long-term damage to the excretory system. For a natural solution consider the Top 7 Yoga Poses for Constipation Relief.
Symptoms of Constipation
- Difficult or Painful Bowel Movements
- No Bowel Movement for more than 3 Days
- Dry and Hard stools
- Excessive Strain or effort to pass stools
- Feeling Bloated
- Swollen Abdomen
- Feeling Lethargic
- Flatulence or Gassiness
- Pain in the lower abdomen
What causes Constipation? Some of the common reasons include-
Hypothyroidism – The thyroid gland which is situated at the front of the neck – controls the metabolic activities (BMR) in the body. Under-active thyroid or hypothyroidism is the condition associated with problem like constipation and weight gain.
Poor Diet – It is one of the leading causes of chronic constipation in adults. Not eating on time and indulging in processed foods and refined food products.
Diabetes – Uncontrolled Diabetes where due to inadequate insulin hormone level affects the blood sugars. The increased in blood sugars damages the nerves which leads to constipation.
IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) – The precise reason for IBS is unknown. But bloating, abdominal pain and constipation symptoms can be seen in IBS.
Overuse of Laxative – Overuse of laxatives makes you dependent on it. This practice makes your intestinal movements weak and it leads to constipation.
Depression and Stress – If you are depressed and stressed out you tend to get physically sluggish. Also intake of unhealthy foods high in sugar increases and it may lead to constipation.
Constipation Due to Pregnancy – This kind of Constipation is common because of hormonal changes and the bowel movement becomes slow. Increase in fibrous foods helps.
Not drinking Enough Liquids or Water – Dehydration causes constipation. 75% of Body is made up of water. Water helps to keep the feces or the stool soft and advances the bowel movements. When you do not drink enough of water the intestines tend to absorb more water and this leads to the hard and dry feces.
Medications – Sometimes due to overuse of medicines like – Calcium tables, Iron supplements etc. causes constipation.
Resisting the Urge – Reasons can be many like due to office meetings or travelling or any other reasons. This again causes the faeces to become hard and dry which makes it painful to pass and it is the leading cause of constipation in adults.
Top 7 Yoga Poses for Constipation Relief and Easy Yoga Tips!
Yoga is a complete management system that can give you relief from constipation. Daily routines are important. Warm water every day is useful. Walking is the best exercise. Food habits are important. If you are eating a lot of unhealthy and processed fast foods, they will affect your body systems and how your digestive system processes food.
Food can help give you relief from constipation and you also need to be aware to put in the required tools that your body needs to make all your body systems run like a smooth well-oiled engine. Diet is important considering the stress filled and fast-paced daily routines most people ignore daily diet. Fast foods, refined flours, pizzas, pasta, processed foods should be avoided. Include more of Fibrous fruits -eat a plate every day between breakfast and lunch is helpful. Include more of seasonal vegetables like Palak, meethi green fibrous vegetables etc. Some effective foods that help to naturally cure constipation are Yoghurt (curd), Mangoes, Whole grains (flax seeds, sunflower seeds etc.) Drinking at least 12 glasses of liquid is a must every day. Herbal tea and buttermilk are recommended.
So learn the Top 7 Yoga Poses for Constipation Relief and feel the difference
Recommended Yoga Pranayama for Constipation relief-
- Pranayama IV- This is a very effective breathing exercise where the abdominal muscles are exercised and movement of belly helps to improve the digestive system. Regular practice of pranayama IV will cure other ailments like stomach disorder, insomnia, acidity and reduces belly fat.
Recommended Yoga Asana for Constipation relief-
- Vajrasana or The Adamant Pose – It is the simple yoga pose which can be safely practised after lunch. Offers uniform postural fixity and corrects postural defects. Improves blood circulation to the abdominal region – helps improve digestion. Beneficial in various conditions like chronic constipation, stomach disorders and digestive problems. Enables flexibility of lower limbs and strengthens digestive organs and the digestive tract. It is considered as one of the best yoga asanas for constipation and indigestion.
- Bhujangasana or the Cobra Pose – This pose is effective and beneficial for improving the function of the digestion system. This yoga asana strengthens the abdominal muscles and cleans the entire digestive tract. Useful to cures constipation and indigestion problems.
- Halasana or the Plough Pose – This pose helps to strengthen the back muscles and reduces stress. It stimulates the abdominal viscera and the organs and aids in better digestion.
- Pavanamuktasana or the Wind-Relieving Pose – It is effective for removing gases and improving the digestive system. Considered the ideal yoga poses for constipation and indigestion. This posture gives significant relief to flatulence by quickening the movement and expulsion of the intestinal flatus. Favourable improvement is seen in cases of the flabby abdomen, sub-normal functions of the abdominal viscera and pelvic organs. Provides relief in case of chronic constipation and sluggish liver.
- Paschimottanasana or the Forward Bending Pose – An excellent asana for constipation and digestive disorders- The deep intra-abdominal compression massages the abdominal viscera– provides relief in conditions related to constipation, weak digestion, and sluggish liver. This asana is recommended mainly for women post- delivery to reduce the unwanted belly fat. Strengthens and stimulates the back muscles and the abdominal organs.
- Dhanurasana or the Bow Pose – This asana strengthens the entire abdominal organs. Those suffering from gas and digestion problems should practice Dhanurasana regularly. This pose prevents diseases by aiding elimination through intra-abdominal pressure.