17 Jul Yoga healing & Menopause management
Yoga healing & Menopause management
Menopause is a natural condition that every woman will experience in their lifetime as they age. The word “menopause” can refer to any of the symptoms or changes a woman goes through either just before or after she stops menstruating. Menopause marks the end of a woman’s reproductive period. Generally, an absence of menstrual cycle for 12 months and more indicates the onset of the Menopause stage. Yoga healing helps in menopause symptoms management.
Facts about Menopause
- Normal and natural condition every woman will experience it in their lifetime.
- Ovaries cease to function.
- Menopause does not occur overnight. It is a gradual process.
- The average age is considered 51 years, but it may occur as early as the 30’s or as late as the 60’s.
- There are no dependable tests that can predict when a woman will enter menopause stage.
- A majority of women will not experience a voice change during menopause, although this might be a problem in certain cases.
Symptoms of menopause will vary from individual to individual, however, common symptoms will include—
- Premenopausal or the transition period- Irregular periods. Some woman will experience light periods and others might have heavy bleeding.
- Hot flashes.
- Stress and unexplained anxiety
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia).
- Emotional turbulence and mood swings
- Palpitations feeling that your heartbeats are either too fast or erratic
- Problems with recollecting and remembering things.
- Vaginal itchiness and dryness.
- Ovaries cease to function as a result the Estrogen levels (hormones regulated by ovaries) decline and risk of other ailments such as cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, urinary incontinence, weight gain etc. increases.
Menopause onset brings with it fluctuating hormones, this affects sleep cycle, metabolism is disturbed leading to an increase of belly fat and makes you irritable. Yoga as a way of life can offer respite during this crucial time.
Yogic Lifestyle Choices & Dietary Discipline TIPS
- Healthy routines of early to bed and eating on correct time helps. (Avoid late night parties and junk food.)
- Eat your food slowly and chew your food properly. Over eating should be avoided. If you like some sweets eat them in moderation at regular intervals.
- A brisk walk in nature early morning and evening for 20 to 30 minutes is a must. Early morning sunlight is good. Soak some sunlight onto your back as well.
- Women who smoke have high levels of (male hormone) androgens than women who don’t smoke. Quit smoking.
- Opt for organic foods. Eat a balanced diet that comprises of lots of seasonal fruits, green vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.
- Calcium, Iron and Fiber content in daily diet should be increased.
- Get into a routine of regular yoga exercise to help you manage or lose weight.
- Individuals suffering from Menopause should take care of their emotional wellness. All disease manifest in the mind. They should learn to manage their emotions and try to accept the situation. (Pranayama or Breathing yoga exercises help)
- Body image and “What people will think of me now?” such questions and self-doubt should be avoided. It is perfectly natural and you are not alone. Keep the mind occupied and keep life interesting. Pick up a new hobby, travel, cook up a new dish!
Recommended Yoga Therapy
Yoga Asana- The poses recommended gives abdominal compression and gently massages the internal organs. These help to tone the internal organs functioning and improve blood circulation. The yoga asana suggested massage the digestive organs and improves gastrointestinal balance and their functions. Yoga poses are effective in weight loss and keep the metabolism in check.
Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
Suptvakrasana (Watch Video for Complete Details)
Pranayama– Pranayama yoga helps to enhance the oxygenated blood supply to the brain which in turn helps to allay menopausal symptoms due to the hormonal changes.
Anulom Vilom (Watch Video for Details)
Yogendra Pranayama IV
Relaxation- Stress has a negative impact on Menopause symptoms. It is necessary to relax the mind so as to keep the cortisol levels under control. Cortisol levels (testosterone) are responsible for stress and weight gain. Hence conscious relaxation technique-Shavasana helps in calming the entire body and mind and helps to alleviate stress.
Shavasana (Watch Video for complete details)