21 Oct 3 simple tips to a sound sleep
In spite of knowing the benefits of sleeping early, we all fall prey to a disturbed sleep pattern every now and then. Even though we hit the bed by 11 PM, we still keep tossing and turning around till 1-2 AM. Be it due to stress, workload, numerous thoughts, or the mindless scrolling through social media. We do end up disturbing our sleep routine.
Various studies have shown the positive effects of Yogic techniques like Asana, Pranayama, and Dhyana. They can help not only to prevent insomnia but also to improve our sleep cycle, and the overall quality of life.
Here are 3 simple tips and yogic practices that you can do for sound sleep:
- Chandra Bhedana Pranayama:
This greatly helps to relax the mind and activate the parasympathetic nervous system. For this, sit in any meditative position with your eyes closed. Slowly, close the right nostril and inhale from the left nostril. Then open the right nostril and exhale. Ensure that the ratio of inhalation and exhalation is equal.
- Supta Bhadrasana:
You can also practice this on your bed. Lie down on your back and bend your legs inwards, so that the soles are touching together. While interlocking your fingers, place them on your abdomen. Keeping your eyes closed, simply focus on your breath. After a few minutes, gently release the pose. This helps to release the physical and mental tension and relax the mind.
- Viparit Karni Mudra:
Lie down on your back with the arms by the side of the body. Exhaling, lift your legs and back off the floor while taking the support of your hands. Give good support to the lower back and keep the knees straight and toes should be in line with the eyes. Maintain a steady position for 6 breaths and release. This asana is excellent to relieve tired legs. It also helps to increase the blood supply and oxygen to the brain, thereby calming the mind.
Some additional tips to a sound sleep:
- Stay away from strong lights 30 minutes before your bedtime. No phones or laptops allowed and you can also dim the lights in the house.
- Have a glass of warm milk before bed as it helps to induce sleep.
- To quickly destress, you can also dip your feet in lukewarm water before going to bed.
- Try these tips and techniques at least for a month, to notice a difference in the quality of your sleep. Instead of counting sheep, try to watch and focus on your breath to improve the sleep pattern.