13 Nov 5 ways to add Yoga to your life
If you think Yoga is all about practicing asanas, then you are mistaken! Clearing all the misconceptions out there, Yoga is more a way of life. How you live your life, how you do little things in your life, everything counts. Hence, Yoga is not what happens only on the mat, but off the mat too it can bring about big changes and shifts in your life. So to people out there, who can’t practice asanas, we bring you 5 reasons how you can add Yoga, and live a healthier and fuller life:
- Live naturally: Be as natural as possible in your daily life. Something as simple as walking should be a part of your everyday routine. We, humans, are structured in such a way that we must move around. Avoid sitting around and keep yourselves involved in some physical activities. Take the stairs whenever possible, sit on the floor daily for some time, play with babies as they are the purest form of happiness, and do everything that comes to you naturally. This is the easiest way to add Yoga to your life.
- Mindfulness: Being on the mat teaches you discipline, persistence, compassion, dedication, and self-belief. So wouldn’t it be fair if we practice a few of these things off-the-mat and in our lives as well? Practice the Yamas and Niyamas in your day-to-day life, so that you can live life in the best possible manner.
If anything is testing your patience, show compassion and not anger. Instead of worrying about the past and future, be present in the moment. Be aware of yourself and conscious about your actions as well as reactions in daily life.
Being mindful helps to bring about a balance in your life, and you will be able to handle all the ups and downs in a much better manner. Strive to be a better version of yourself every day that is how you can add Yoga to your life.
- Quiet moments: Not everything in your life should be fast-paced. In your daily life, you must set aside a few moments for silence. Even if you can’t meditate daily (which you should), try practicing Mauna (silence) in the day. Practice Pratyahara, that is withdrawing your senses inwards.
Find a quiet corner and just enjoy the silence. You could also focus on your breathing. Let each inhalation and exhalation transform your life, by reducing the stress levels and increasing the goodness in life.
- Eat better: Yoga strongly believes that we are what we eat! You must continue to practice the core principles of Yoga, even when you are off-the-mat. Be kind to your body, and be conscious about everything that you put in it. Ensure that you have a clean and balanced Sattvik diet.
A Sattvik diet helps to keep your body as well as mind clean and light. Eat only when you are hungry, and practice Mitaahara. A healthy and balanced diet is another way how you can add Yoga to your life.
- Spread happiness: Be honest with yourself and with others. This is the first step to have a peaceful mind. A mind in which there is no space for hatred, comparison, judgments, or even negative thoughts. Fill yourself with nothing but happiness and love. Incorporate the yogic teachings of Maitri, Karuna, Mudita, and Upeksha (Friendliness, Compassion, Joy, and Equanimity) in your daily life. It is only when you are filled with happiness that you will be able to give out the same love and happiness.
The real practice of Yoga isn’t really on the mat, but it truly starts when you get off the mat. The first practice shouldn’t be to bring about a balance in your Shirshasana, but it must be to bring about a balance in your life. That is the true meaning of Yoga and good health is just a strong decision away, of making Yoga a way of life.