25 Jan Benefits revealed Yogendra Pranayama 5 – Shunyaka
(Suspension of Breath, Post-exhalation)
Maintaining a void, even for a while, from the ever challenging and demanding world is very important.
Method of Practice
- Sit erect preferably in either Padmasana or Sukhasana or in any meditative posture of your choice. Place your hands on your knees with your palms facing down.
- Close your eyes or fix your gaze at one point ahead.
- Inhale normally. When the inhalation is complete begin exhaling slowly and fully till you feel no more air remains within.
- Pull your abdomen inwards and hold this position for five seconds without any movement in the body. The emphasis is on experiencing the emptiness post-exhalation. The mind is still.
- Let your abdomen relax before you take the next breath in. You can breathe normally a couple of times between each round.
- Practise 4-5 rounds of pranayama V
Limitations / Contraindications
- Hypertension, cardiac problems
- Pregnancy, peptic and duodenal ulcers and other abdominal disorders or surgery
- Lower back disorders and slipped disc
- It strengthens a weak stomach and activates sluggish digestion and colon.
- It corrects the inflated lungs.
- It preserves elasticity of and tones the abdomen.
- It reduces distracting thoughts, calms the mind and improves focus.