11 Apr Healing Anemia using Yoga and Diet Tips
Healing Anemia using Yoga Therapy and diet tips
Anemia affects nearly 1.62 billion people worldwide. WHO (World Health Organization) estimates India has the highest prevalence of anemia especially in women. Check out our special women one day cost-effective camp for wellness…Click here (Time: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm Fees: Rs. 800/- inclusive of lunch and snacks)
What causes Anemia?
Anemia is a condition in which iron content or haemoglobin levels of blood are below the normal levels. For men, normal level =13.5 gram/100 ml and in women =12.0 gram/100 ml anything below these levels causes anemia.
Oxygen plays an important role in breathing processes, regulating energy and metabolism of all the living organisms. Haemoglobin or iron content of blood carries out the main function of oxygen transport thoughtout the body at cellular level. When haemoglobin levels are low in the blood stream; blood will not supply enough oxygen to the body’s cells and tissues. Thus, the lungs and heart will work overtime and harder to supply the oxygen needed.
Take care of you precious heart and try out our one day wellness camp on Cardiac and Hypertension health click Here for details
Common symptoms of Anemia
- Loss of energy
- Shortness of breath and headache
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Pale skin.
Yoga therapy helps to prevent and heal the anemia condition. Through regular practice of pranayama, yoga asanas, meditation and proper diet changes, this condition can be corrected.
Note: Consult your physician and practice the recommended yoga asanas and therapy under guidance of certified and experienced yoga teacher.
Recommended Pranayamas- Pranayama or Breathing exercises help by improving breathing capacity of lungs and thereby oxygen content of RBC (red blood cells) increases. Entire circulatory system is benefited.
Yogendra Pranayam IV, Ujjayi, Suryabhedana, Anulom Vilom and Kapalbhatti increases oxygen content and circulation of blood is improved.
Yogendra Pranayam IV-Watch video for details
Anulom Vilom- Or Nadi Sodhana pranayama Watch video for details
Recommended Asanas– These asanas improve oxygenation in the anterior/head region of the body and improve the neuro-muscular functioning of the body.
Trikonasana, Sarvangasana, Paschomittanasana, Viparita-karani and Yoga-Mudra.
Trikonasana-Watch video for details
Recommended Meditation- Meditation techniques help to get deep relaxation and the nervous system is benefited. Insomnia symptom is corrected which helps rejuvenation of red blood cells.
Shavasana (Deadman Pose) Watch video for details
Diet Tips and plan
- First thing in the morning on an empty stomach-drink one or two glass of warm water with the juice of lemon and two teaspoon honey (Honey is ideal for anaemia condition because of its high % of iron, manganese and copper.)
- Freshly prepared beet juice or spinach juice or carrot juice daily
- Fruits rich in Iron -dates, apple, orange, papaya, black grapes, strawberries, melon, musk melon, guava, musambi. Mix it up and try to include 2 fresh fruits daily in diet.
- Avoid-Fried, fast-foods, spices, starchy & refined sugar containing food.
- Avoid nerve stimulants like tea, coffee, cocoa, white flour, tinned fruit, and refined cereals.
- To boost energy levels eat ripe banana and honey, since it is a good source of energy and essential minerals.
- Consume black sesame seeds (soaked for a few hours in warm water) and mixed with 1 cup of warm milk with honey or jaggery.
- The anaemic patient must have 8 hours of undisturbed sleep and relaxation everyday.
- Avoid excessive worry and tension. Try to smile and be cheerful.