18 Dec Make yourself a priority, Self-care is the best thing you can do for your body
Daily Yoga Tips For Self-Care
Will making myself a priority make me look selfish? Self-care is the best thing you can do for your body but doesn’t that make me vain? How often do you take care of yourself? Well, these are some common question and dilemmas that people often go through. Yoga offers some insights and solutions to such dilemmas.
Yoga is an ancient science which deliberated on life’s higher goals. Making “yourself” a priority is not being selfish there is a thin line. If you are not happy with yourself and not taking care of yourself then how would you suppose that you are in a position to take care of others?
Duty is an important facet of life. Duty towards self, spouse, children, family, society, country and world at large is sequence elaborated in the ancient Vedic texts. Healthy routines are important. Self-care is a habit. Daily repetition of many small habits each day to optimises—emotional, physical, and mental well-being.
Here are some yogic tips on how to make “yourself” a priority. Self-care is the best thing you can do for your body, mind & soul.
Some quick daily yogic tips-
- Oxygenation helps. Yogic breath each day. Take three deep breaths. Breathe deep into your abdomen, and feel the fresh air gust into your lungs till stomach. Pranayama IV or abdominal breathing is a good relaxation technique.
- We have been given head as well heart two decision-making centres. If you listen to your head most of the time, then give the heart a chance to make a decision and vice-versa.
- Live in the moment. Anitya Bhavana each day helps. Everything changes so try to adopt witness like attitude, especially during a difficult situation.
- Disconnect each day. Just watch the sun come up or lie on your back and observe the blue sky or clouds passing by. Switch off the brain and live in the moment.
- Try mini-meditation throughout the day, for example, two minutes of focused attention – complete awareness about your thoughts, emotions, feelings, and sensations.
- Turn off sings, dings & pings of your email, social media and mobile for one hour each day. Yoga Asana practice each day helps.
- Diet is crucial. Try two healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner options and change and rotate each week.
- Try karma Yoga each day. Help a stranger. Simple act of kindness each day example- Carry a grocery bag, open a door, or pick up extra milk bottle for a neighbour in need.
- Learn to “Let Go” forgive your enemies and move on. Have faith in Karma. Don’t be worried about other people’s karma just do your part without attachments.
Some useful daily tips-
- Writing a diary of positive points helps. This will infuse gratitude, and you learn something about yourself from others. Write down good things and compliments that people say so you can refer them to your not so great days.
- Make a list of things to do which you have been putting off or delaying. Start a small example- I wanted to change the curtains of my room, and it is been eight months. Finally wrote it down and crossed it off my to-do list.
- Be a little selfish. Do one thing that makes your happy find 5 minutes and do that. Be it singing, sharing jokes, gardening etc.
- Disconnect from any negative comments on social media and remove negative people from your life they drain away much of your energy.
- Get out of your comfort zone and try something new each day.
- Ten minutes in the sun to boost the happiness and Vitamin D quotient.
Check out our 21 Days Better Living Course -It includes guidance on self-development, concentration and relaxation, besides yogic techniques e.g. Asanas, pranayamas and kriyas. Click here for details for enrolling- 21 Day Better Living Course.