29 Jul Sciatica pain Management through Yoga
Sciatica pain Management through Yoga
The sciatic nerve is one of the biggest & longest spinal-nerve. It extends from the lumbar and sacral region (in the lower back) & it runs through the hip region and into the thighs. It sends nerve signals to & fro from the muscles & skin of the thighs, lower legs & feet.
What Causes Sciatica pain?
Sciatica is commonplace in the middle age & mostly develops around age 40 to age 50. When a nerve root is compressed, it gives sharp radiating pain in the leg or traveling down from the hip region to the foot. The most probable cause of sciatica pain is a herniated disc.
Common symptoms of Sciatica
• Constant pain in only one side of the hip region or leg (very rarely in both legs)
• Pain aggravated when sitting
• Sensation in the leg described as burning, prickly or shooting
• Weakness & numbness in leg, foot, and toes
• Sciatic pain generally radiates down the leg and can vary from intermittent and irritating to continuous and debilitating. Symptoms will vary based on the location of the pinched nerve. Based on body weight (obesity) and stiffness the Sciatica
Conservative or Medicinal treatment generally involves the use of muscle relaxants and takes 7 to 8 weeks for symptoms to disappear. However, yoga provides a safe and natural way of holistic healing for sciatica symptoms management.
Yogic lifestyle choices and Dietary discipline tips
1. Healthy routines of early to bed and eating on correct time helps. (Avoid late night parties and junk food.)
2. Eat your food slowly and chew your food properly.
3. A brisk walk in nature early morning and evening for 20 to 30 minutes is a must. Early morning sunlight is good. Soak some sunlight onto your back as well.
4. Opt for organic foods. Eat a balanced diet that comprises of lots of seasonal fruits, green vegetables, whole grains and dairy products.
5. 2 cups of green tea per day acts as a natural detox with anti-oxidant properties
6. Turmeric and ginger consumption helps to reduce inflammation
7. Vitamins A, B, D, K & C rich foods help such as milk, cheese, yogurt, carrots, green peas, dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, spinach, alfalfa, vegetable oils etc.
8. Drink ample of water. 12 glasses of liquid every day is a must.
9. Nerve stimulants such as tea, coffee, chocolates etc. should be avoided.
10. Alcohol & smoking cigarettes should also be avoided since it produces a stress reaction in the body.
11. Get into a healthy routine of regular yoga exercise to help you manage symptoms of sciatica.
Recommended Yoga Asanas, Pranayama and Kriya
Yoga Asanas- Yastik Asana, Ardha Matsyendrasana, Bhadrasana, Salabhasana, Setu Bandhasana, Supt Vakrasana, Bhujangasana
Pranayama – Anulom Vilom, Yogendra Pranayama IV
Handy Tips for sciatica pain relief
- Do not slump! Take steps to improve your posture.
- Sleep with round pillow below your knees for at-least 15 minutes everyday to relieve sciatica leg pain.
- Strengthen core muscles to prevent recurrences of your sciatica.
- Hot water bag for pain relief 10 minutes everyday