05 Jun Yoga and Infertility
Today, professional success is increasingly becoming a great priority amongst couples. Hence stress and health problems are growing by the day.
Infertility is one of the most common troubles induced by stress and erratic lifestyles. Despite continuous attempts and medical assistance, many couples still complain that they are unable to conceive. Infertility causes emotional, physical and psychological distress to couples. Even then, infertility ranks low on the list of priority and remains neglected.
According to WHO-World Health Organization, the overall pervasiveness of primary infertility in India is between 4 to 17%. Infertility affects the reproductive system. It can be defined as the failure to achieve a clinical pregnancy after 12 months or more of regular unprotected intercourse.
What are the two types of infertility?
- Primary infertility means no conception altogether by the couple.
- Secondary infertility means that the couple had experienced pregnancy before and failed to conceive later.
How does Yoga help?
In recent year’s Yoga, the ancient system of holistic wellness is becoming more and more popular. Yoga helps achieve an emotional, physical and mental balance which helps a couple feel healthy. Also, efforts are being made to integrate Yoga in order to treat and prevent infertility.
Fertility yoga is not a different type of yoga or new hype. It is a combination of different series of asana, kriya, meditation, and pranayama to boost chances of conception and pregnancy by reducing stress and cleaning the body of toxins.
What are the leading causes of Infertility?
- Age – After mid-thirties, the fertility in women declines.
- Smoking and Alcohol – Tobacco can reduce woman’s fertility and has an adverse impact on the reproductive system. Regular consumption of alcohol increases the chances of infertility.
- Eating Disorders – Inactive lifestyle and eating disorder are the leading causes of infertility in women.
- Stress & Anxiety – Work-life balance, family illness or other reasons can take a toll on the body and reduce chances of getting pregnant. The inability to conceive adds to the frustration and more stress, creating a vicious cycle.
How can Yoga help boost fertility?
Yoga Asana’s increase flexibility and keeps the physical body fit. Pranayamas help to improve oxygenation and helps reduce stress and anxiety. Kriyas detox and cleanse the system. Meditation helps to achieve a calm and focused mind. All these are pre-requisite to boost fertility.
Which are the recommended Yoga Asanas?
- Paschimottanasana stretches and strengthens the muscles on your lower back, hips, and hamstrings. It gently compresses the abdominal viscera and keeps the belly fat in check. Also, this asana helps to revitalize the ovaries and reproductive system.
- Hastapadasana strengthens the extremities and making your body flexible. It releases stress from the abdominal area.
- SuptaVakrasana pose strengthens your hips, inner thigh and groin muscles. It is helpful in relieving PMS and abdominal cramps, swelling and stress.
- BaddhaKonasana or the butterfly pose helps in stretching the muscles of your inner thighs, genitals, opens up the hip area and knees. It can also help in a less painful and smooth delivery.
- Halasana helps relieve nervousness, stress and increase blood flow towards the head region. This yoga asana stretches the muscles of your back, hips, and thighs.
- Pariyankasana strengthens the thighs muscles and pelvic region is benefited.
- SetuBandhasana improves blood circulation and has a calming effect on the brain and central nervous system.
- Sarvangasana or the ‘Shoulder Stand’ helps treat thyroid conditions. It also relieves stress and one of the more effective asanas to treat infertility as it targets the thyroid directly. Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) hormone can lead to many health complications and inhibit your ability to conceive. Thyroid conditions are one of the leading causes of infertility in women.
- Pranayamas, Abdominal pranayama helps to ensure good sleep and relieves insomnia.
- Anulom-Vilom helps to detox the nadis by getting rid of negative emotions, stress and benefits the nervous system.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama is one of the most popular and acts as a remedy for many maladies. It also helps to cleanse the sinuses and keeps your mind light and fresh. Relieves your stress levels and adds a nice healthful glow to your face.
Meditation, Guided meditation helps to calm the nerves and relaxes the emotions and mind. Shavasana also benefits the nervous system and induce relaxation.
Yoga helps to adopt a holistic approach toward treating infertility. Join us and learn the finer points of yoga for healthy conception and pregnancy. Click here for details.
In addition to healing your mind, body, and soul, Yoga helps ensure that the good news comes knocking on your doors soon.