06 Oct Yoga relief for sinusitis
Yoga relief for sinusitis
Suffering from throbbing sinus headaches, runny nose and nasal congestion? Well, you are not alone, The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases survey indicates around 134 million people in India (one in eight Indian) suffer from chronic sinusitis.
The sinuses are small hollow cavities located behind the forehead, cheekbones, nose and eyes. The sinuses are covered in mucus, a clear jelly-like fluid that protects the body against bacteria, viruses and germs. Sometimes bacteria or allergens trapped in the nasal cavity can cause mucus accumulation which will block the sinus openings. The excess mucus build-up will encourage bacteria or germs to multiple in the sinus cavity causing inflammation and pain. Majority of sinus infections are caused by a virus and tend to go away within two weeks.
Yoga offers simple kriyas, pranayamas and asanas to prevent sinusitis. If suffering from the chronic illness it helps to provide respite and builds immunity against repeated viral infections.
Yogic Lifestyle Choices and Dietary Discipline Tips- Yoga life includes simple living and healthy routines.
- Healthy routines of early to bed and eating on correct time helps. (Avoid late night parties and junk food.) Eat before 7 pm. Drink a full glass of warm after 1 hour of meals.
- Eat your food slowly and chew your food properly.
- A brisk walk in nature early morning and evening for 20 to 30 minutes is a must. Early morning sunlight is good. Soak some sunlight onto your back as well.
- Opt for Sattvic diet. Eat a balanced diet that comprises of lots of seasonal fruits, green vegetables, whole grains and dairy products.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin D rich foods help such as milk, almonds, paneer, yoghurt, carrots, green peas, dark green leafy vegetables, and increase intake of citrus fruits such as lemon, orange, etc.
- Drink ample of water. 12 glasses of liquid every day is a must. Drink water half hour before meals and one hour after your meals.
- Avoid Cigarettes and Alcohol consumption.
- After washing your hair ensure you dry your scalp completely before you go outdoor. Cover your head.
- Avoid direct sunlight and breeze on the head. Cover your head with a cap or scarf when you are outdoor. At night ensure your head is covered.
Sutraneti (Nasal Cleansing with Thread)
Anulom Vilom Pranayama (Watch video for details)
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
Yoga relief for sinusitis takes care of holistic health. Try out our 1-day Respiratory Camp held every month it covers yogic techniques (asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, relaxation) talks by Smt. Hansaji and medical experts. Click here for details.