Yoga Says Good Bye to Bad Cholesterol

DID YOU KNOW?

Only 20% of your cholesterol actually comes from your food, and your liver synthesizes the other 80%.

WHAT IS THE ROLE OF CHOLESTEROL AND HOW IS IT BAD FOR YOU?

Cholesterol is essentially a non-soluble fatty substance which your body needs to make vital hormones, bile and Vitamin D etc. All types’ of cholesterol are not harmful.

LDL cholesterol is considered bad when levels are high

LDL (low-density lipoprotein) is the oxidized form of cholesterol. LDL clings itself to artery walls, thereby creating a plaque that can eventually block your arteries. Blocked arteries could result in a stroke or heart attack. LDL levels should be low.

HDL cholesterol is good

HDL (high-density lipoprotein) travels around in your bloodstream, gathering up surplus LDL cholesterol and bringing it to your liver to be recycled. Therefore, HDL is cleaning out your bloodstream. You want your HDL levels to be high.

Medications can help to improve your heart health and reduce cholesterol. Here are the five lifestyle changes that can help to reduce bad cholesterol and prevent heart attacks.

FOODS THAT LOWER CHOLESTEROL:

  • Eat home cooked Sattvik meals and heart-friendly foods should be included in daily diet.

  • Read your food labels properly and reduce saturated fats intake. Saturated fats are primarily found in red meat and full-fat dairy products. Decrease your consumption of trans fats, sometimes listed labelled as ‘partially hydrogenated vegetable oil,’ are often found in margarine, frozen pizzas, pasta, cookies, and cakes.

  • Eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids like walnuts and flaxseeds.

  • Increase intake of soluble fibre from oatmeal, kidney beans, sprouts, apples and pears etc.

  • Fresh seasonal fruits, whole grains and greens should be included in your daily diet.

YOGA ASANA’S:

 

  • Chakrasana or The Wheel pose gently massages the abdominal organs. It improves the liver function and thus helps get rid of excess fat deposits and cholesterol.

  • Shalabhasana or The Locust pose stretches the belly and stimulates the abdominal organs. It benefits the digestive system.

  • Sarvangasana or The Shoulder stand stimulates the abdominal viscera and improves digestion.

  • Paschimottanasana This pose stimulates the liver, kidneys, reduces waistline obesity and gets rid of excess fat around the stomach.

  • Ardha Matsyendrasana – Sitting half-spinal twist. This pose stimulates the liver, massages abdominal organs and helps in overcoming indigestion.

 

BREATHING EXERCISES AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES:

Pranayamas – They help to reduce stress and anxiety. Anulom-Vilom and Abdominal breathing can help lower cholesterol levels.

Rest and Relaxation –Guided Meditation and conscious relaxation technique of Shavasanaare recommended.

Quit smoking – Within 20 minutes of quitting smoking, your B.P. and heart rate recover from the cigarette-induced spike. Within three months, your blood circulation and lung function begin to improve. After a year of quitting, the risk of heart disease reduces to half compared to that of a smoker.

Lose extra weight – Increase your physical activity. Try to exercise every day, go for a brisk walk early morning or evening. Exercise to lower cholesterol naturally. Carrying even a few extra pounds gives rise to high cholesterol. Small changes that help- If you drink sugary beverages, switch to water. Snack on air-popped popcorn or pretzels rather than deep fried. Use the stairs instead of taking the elevator every time or use stair for a few floors then take the elevator. Take walk breaks at work.

Quit drinking alcohol – Alcohol consumption can lead to serious health problems, including high blood pressure, heart attack and strokes.

So walk the talk and say goodbye to bad cholesterol the good Yogic way. Check out the one day camp options we have click here for details.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn how to optimize your blog for search engines, find free traffic, and monetize your website.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.
No Comments

Post A Comment