13 Jul Yoga Therapeutics to Cure Migraines & Headaches
Yoga Therapeutics to Cure Migraines & Headaches
The root Greek word “hemikrania” means “a migraine” i.e. pain on one side of the head. A migraine and tension-headache ranks as the 3rd most common disorder in the world. Globally around 14.7% of the population is affected. (It means around 1 in 7 people)
Prevalence of a migraine is more common than epilepsy, diabetes, and asthma all combined!
A headache can be considered the initial stage which can be a tension headache, cluster headache, sinus headache etc. Long term pain without respite from a headache manifests as a migraine. It is a neurological disorder that goes undiagnosed or untreated in 50% of the cases.
Symptoms typically will include
- One-half of the head will experience pulsating pain that can last from 2 to 72 hours.
- Associated symptoms may include sensitivity to light, smells, or sound.
- Sensitivity to certain types of foods can trigger vomiting and nausea.
- Brief periods of visual disturbances
- Cluster headaches can cause sudden sharp pain which might last for few hours to a couple of days.
- Sharp or pulsating pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck
Yoga Therapeutics to Cure Migraines & Headaches offers long term solution for holistic health care.
Ahara or Diet– Rudimentary lifestyle changes can go a long way to cure headaches and migraines. Find out diet that suits you (yoga is an experiential science you have to be aware and observant enough to find foods that suit your system, no guide or rule book can do this for you) You can be vigilant enough to cut out fast foods, stale foods and refined food items (refined sugars etc.) from your daily diet.
Daily Discipline & Diet Tips
- Eat freshly cooked meals and Eat on time
- Chew your food properly
- Early to bed and healthy routines are a must for healthier lifestyle
- Include seasonal fresh fruits and green veggies in your daily diet
- Drink 12 glasses of liquid every day (free from Chlorine and fluoride)
- Magnesium rich foods help allay the symptoms (include spinach, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, almonds, black beans etc. in your daily diet)
- Walking in nature every morning and evening for 20 to 30 minutes is a must!
RECOMMENDED YOGA THERAPY
Yoga advocates “Prevention is better than cure” But in case the illness has progressed effective management is possible.
Headaches and migraines are neurological disorders hence recommended yoga asana, pranayama and kriyas help to allay the symptoms of a migraine. Through regular yoga practice can help eliminate this disorder permanently (But ensure you learn from an experience yoga teacher from The Yoga Institute, Mumbai- World’s oldest, organised yoga centre established 1918)
ShatKriya – Yogic techniques recommended help to clean out the entire nervous system and calms the mind.
Yoga Asana – All the forward bending poses or yoga asanas revitalizes the nervous system by increasing blood supply and also calms the mind.
- Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend)
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge pose)
- Konasana (Variation III)
- Paschimottanasana (Two-legged Forward Bend)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog pose)
Yoga Pranayama – Pranayama yoga helps to enhance the oxygenated blood supply to the brain which in turn helps to relieve stress and calm the nervous system.
Anulom Vilom (Watch Video for Details)
Yogendra Pranayama IV (Watch Video for Details)
Relaxation – It is necessary to relax the body and mind. Shavasana helps in calming the entire body and mind. Relaxation helps to alleviate stress. The nervous system is greatly benefited by this conscious relaxation technique.
Shavasana (Watch Video for complete details)