12 Jun Kapalbhati
Kapalbhati is considered one of the important Shatkarma’s or Shatkriya which plays an important role in the purification of the body. Yogic technique Kapalbhati has manifold benefits with wondrous results.
Gheranda Samhita describes it as Bhalabhati which is essentially Kapalbhati. The term Kapalbhati consist of two words i.e. “Kapal” means- skull (in this technique skull includes all the organs in & around the skull too) and “Bhati” means- shining or illuminating.
It is non-injurious, non-irritating and absolutely simple. The beginners in yoga and for that matter, even the layman could practice this purification technique without any misgivings and enjoy the positive benefits.
- This technique is simple can be done anytime and anywhere. But ensure your environment is dust and pollution free. Gardens and parks with ample of green trees are ideal. Sit in any meditative pose sukhasana, padmasana etc.
- Keep your spine erect, chin parallel to the ground & place your palms on your knees facing downwards. Do normal breathing few rounds & relax.
- Now inhale and exhale through your nose; Kapalabhati technique comprises of short & strong forceful exhalation and inhalation(passive inhalation). Both inhalation and exhalation count should be same. Ensure your stomach and chest region both are stable without any conscious movement. (slight movement is natural but don’t do it consciously)
- Initially, do 10 rounds in one sitting
Benefits of Kapalbhati
- This breathing exercise is mainly for cleansing the facial sinuses.
- Blood circulation and oxygenation of entire face is improved.
- Long term benefits include slows down the aging process and helps to calm the facial nerves and relaxes the facial muscles. Rejuvenates tired cells, helping in reducing wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- A healthy natural skin glow of face is seen if you practice regularly.
- Reduces sinusitis and migraine attack frequency.
- Serves as a therapeutic tool to cure anemia
- Cleanses the eyes ducts and vision is improved
- The sense of smell is improved and aids digestion.
- Cleanses the nervous system and calms the mind, helps relieve stress built-up.
- The lymphatic system and thyroid function are benefitted.
So try out this simple, do it yourself-DIY shatkarma and enjoy the health benefits and experience a healthy facial glow from the comfort of your own home.
Important Tip: For best results do Jalaneti regularly followed by Kapalbhati.